STANAG 6001 reading test, level 2

STANAG English exam – Reading, level 2

It’s another original English test, prepared according to STANAG 6001 principles. It tests your reading comprehension on level 2 (SLP 2222). In Poland, where it was used during military exams, the whole reading part lasted 75 minutes. You had to do three tasks from the test. To help you test your English there is the answer key at the end of the examination paper.

READING test, level 2


Task One

Read the text and choose the right answer.

The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre

During the Prohibition era, gangsters ruled many of the large cities and became quite rich. These gangsters would divide a city between rival gangs, bribe local officials and become local celebrities. By the late 1920s, Chicago was split between two rival gangs: one led by Al Capone and the other by George “Bugs” Moran. Capone and Moran competed for power, prestige and money; plus, both tried for years to kill each other.

In early 1929, Al Capone was living in Miami with his family (to escape Chicago’s brutal winter) when his associate Jack “Machine Gun” McGurn visited him. McGurn, who had almost been killed by Moran, wanted to discuss the ongoing problem of Moran’s gang. In order to eliminate the enemies, Capone agreed to fund an assassination attempt and McGurn was placed in charge of organizing it. McGurn planned carefully. He located the Moran gang’s headquarters, which was in a large garage behind S.M.C. Cartage Company. He selected gunmen from outside the Chicago area (such as Fred “Killer”Burke) to ensure that if there were any survivors, they would not be able to recognize the killers as part of Capone’s gang. McGurn hired lookouts (Harry and Phil Keywell) to watch the garage from a nearby apartment. Also essential to the plan, he got a stolen police car and two police uniforms.

With the plan organized and the killers hired, it was time to set the trap. McGurn instructed a local alcohol dealer to contact Moran on February 13th. The dealer was to tell Moran that he had got a shipment of Old Log Cabin whiskey which he was willing to sell at the very reasonable price of $57 per case. Moran quickly agreed and told the dealer to meet him at the garage at 10:30 the following morning. On the morning of February 14th, 1929, the lookouts were watching carefully as the Moran gang gathered at the garage. Around 10:30, the lookouts recognized a man heading to the garage as “Bugs” Moran. The lookouts told the gunmen, who immediately climbed into the stolen police car. When it reached the garage, the four gunmen jumped out. Two of them were dressed in police uniforms, so when they rushed into the garage, the seven men inside thought it was a routine police raid. Continuing to believe the gunmen to be police officers, all seven men peacefully did as they were told. They lined up, faced the wall, and allowed the gunmen to remove their weapons. The gunmen then opened fire killing seven people, each of whom received at least 15 bullets, mostly in the head and torso.

The gunmen then left the garage. As they exited, neighbors who had heard the rat-tat-tat of the submachine gun, looked out their windows and saw two policemen walking behind two men dressed in civilian clothes with their hands up. The neighbors assumed that the police had staged a raid and were arresting two men. After the massacre was discovered, many continued to believe for several weeks that the police were responsible. Six of the victims died in the garage; one of them, Frank Gusenberg, was taken to a hospital but died three hours later, refusing to name who was responsible. Though the plan had been carefully crafted, one major problem occurred. The man that the lookouts had identified as Moran was really Albert Weinshank. “Bugs” Moran, the main target for the assassination, was arriving a couple minutes late to the 10:30 a.m. meeting when he noticed a police car outside the garage. Thinking it was a police raid, Moran stayed away from the building, unknowingly saving his life.

The brutal massacre made newspaper headlines across the country. Police tried desperately to determine who was responsible. Al Capone had an air-tight alibi because he had been called in for questioning by the Dade County solicitor in Miami during the time of the massacre. McGurn had what became called a “blonde alibi” – he had been at a hotel with his blonde girlfriend from February 13th till February 14th. Fred Burke was arrested by police in March 1931 but was charged with the December 1929 murder of a police officer and sentenced to life in prison for that crime.

Though this was one of the first major crimes in which the science of ballistics was used, no one was ever tried or convicted for the murders of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. Though the police never had enough evidence to convict Al Capone, the public knew he was responsible. This massacre remains the most notorious gangster killing of the Prohibition era. It made Al Capone a national celebrity as well as brought him the unwanted attention of the federal government.
1.     In 1929, Jack McGurn …

A.      had a task to organize a killing
B.       decided to finance a murder
C.      hid in Miami from Moran’s gang

2.     The killers were not from Chicago so that …

A.      the police couldn’t recognize them
B.       the rival gang couldn’t recognize them
C.      the local people couldn’t recognize them

3.     On February 14,  the lookouts saw …

A.      the gunmen getting into the car
B.       the dealer selling alcohol to Moran
C.      the gangsters meeting at the garage

4.     After the massacre in the garage …

A.      the police arrested 2 men responsible for the killings
B.       people thought the police were behind the killings
C.      one gunman gave the names of the killers

5.     Moran didn’t enter the building because …

A.      he was waiting for Weishank
B.       he had a problem getting there
C.      he saw a police car parked outside

6.     Fred Burke was sent to prison for …

A.      killing a policeman
B.       murdering a woman
C.      taking part in the massacre

7.     After the massacre …

A.      the science of ballistics was used for the first time
B.       the police found evidence against Al Capone
C.      Al Capone became a well-known figure


Task Two

In this task six phrases have been removed from a text and placed at the bottom. An extra phrase has been included. You must decide which phrase goes into which gap and write the letter in the box bellow the sentences. An example has been done for you.

Russian Revolution

It would be too much to suggest that England and Russia have not seen eye to eye in recent years. The poisoning of Alexander Litvinienko in London … (0) … and the media show what seems to be a cold relationship. However, the reality does not look that bad.

Since 1995, British Army officers have been working to set up the Russian Resettlement Project (RRP). It’s a network of … (8) … across the country which help educate and integrate former Soviet soldiers moving into civilian life. Outgoing project leader Maj Donald Smith said that the RRP has been so successful that … (9) … to allow Russia to manage the project on its own for the first time.

The need for such an initiative in Russia came about in 1994. In that year, the Soviet Army withdrew from a newly-unified Germany, which meant that … (10) … had to leave the Russian military. Soldiers whose entire lives were based around the military had to enter the alien world of the civilian and look for new employment.

The RRP was formed in 1995 and the Project’s first centre, the Institute for Professional Training and Retraining in Rostov-on-Don, opened soon after. Since then, a further 11 centers across Russia have trained nearly 28,000 students … (11) … . The courses ranged from IT to real estate evaluation.

It is no coincidence that many of 90 per cent of students who pass the RRP’s courses quickly find employment. Each center works closely with the regional business community … (12) … . Nina Simonova, Rostov Institute’s real estate and evaluation faculty head, said her students’ military backgrounds and their newly learned skills made them … (13) … .


A(Example) has not helped the relations between the two nations

B …  Britain has now withdrawn its help

C …  modern training centers

D …  find it hard to adapt

E …  on intensive 500-hour courses

F …  an attractive proposition for employers

G …  the largest number of troops ever

H …  to help place the right person in the right job


Task Three

Read the text and write if the statements 14 to 20 are true (T) or false (F).

A Deaf  Teacher

Would you believe that the first outstanding deaf teacher in America was a Frenchman? His name was Laurent Clerc. He became a friend of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and together they founded America’s first school for the deaf.

Laurent Clerc was born in a small village near Lyons, France, on December 26, 1785. He was born hearing, but when he was one year old, he fell into a fire. As a result, he lost both his hearing and his sense of smell. The right side of his face was badly burned, and was scarred for his whole life. However, in later years, the scars only made him look more distinguished. The sign for his name was even based on the scar.

At the age of 12, Laurent entered the Royal Institution for the Deaf in Paris where he excelled in his studies. After he graduated, the school asked him to stay on as an assistant teacher. He was a dedicated teacher; and consequently, was promoted to teach the highest class.

Meanwhile, in America, Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet was studying to be a minister when he met a young deaf girl, Alice Cogswell. He was upset to learn that there were no schools for the deaf in America. Concerned about the lack of such educational opportunities for the deaf, in 1815, he sailed to London, England. There, he sought ideas on how to teach deaf people. However, he was unable to get help and he became frustrated. While he was there, he met a French educator of the deaf who invited him to spend 3 months in Paris learning at the Royal Institution for the Deaf, the school where Laurent Clerc was teaching.

Gallaudet accepted the offer, and went to the Royal Institution for the Deaf, where Clerc became his Sign Language teacher. The two worked and studied well together. When the time came for Gallaudet to return to America, he asked Clerc to come with him. Clerc accepted the offer on condition that he would stay in America only a short time.

The two men set sail on June 18, 1816. The voyage across the Atlantic Ocean took 52 days; however, Clerc and Gallaudet put the time to good use. Clerc studied English, and Gallaudet studied sign language. They discussed the school for the deaf which they planned to open. On the long trip, they had many conversations about education and deafness. The year after they arrived, they founded a school for the deaf in Hardford, Connecticut.

At the school, Clerc led a busy life. He taught signs to Principal Gallaudet; he taught pupils; and he taught hearing men who came to the school to study deaf education. At that time, the state would only pay for each student to stay at the school for five years. Therefore, Clerc had to teach his pupils as much as he could as quickly as possible. He and Gallaudet also assisted in founding other schools for the deaf.

Once, Clerc came to Washington, D.C. because he was asked to appear before the Congress of the United States. He met President James Monroe, who became interested in Sign Language when he observed Clerc signing.

In 1819, Clerc married Eliza Crocker Boardman, one of his pupils. They had six children. He retired from teaching in 1858. Although he had intended to return to France, he never did. He died on July 18, 1869 in the United States.

0.    (Example) Laurent Clerc was French.    (T..)

14. Laurent Clerc was deaf  when he was born.    (……)

15. Gallaudet met Clerc in London.     (……)

16. In Paris, Clerc was Gallaudet’s teacher.   (……)

17. For the two men the voyage across the ocean was a waste of time.  (……)

18. At Gallaudet and Clerc’s school, education was paid by the sate.  (……)

19. US authorities showed little interest in the new school.   (……)

20. After he retired, Clerc returned to France.   (……)


Answer key:

Task One:
1) A 2) B 3) C 4) B 5) C 6) A 7) C

Task Two:

8)C     9) B     10) G     11) E     12) H     13) F

Task Three:
14) F 15) F 16) T 17) F 18) T 19) F 20) F